as far as i can tell the detection is done by loading a url on the client.
the browser in the client loads the url which is a server side script that
rips apart the header of the post and searches for a certain part which
happens to be the name of the client. if the name of the client matches
the preset list created by skills then the name and uuid of the avatar is
sent back to the system inworld and triggers the banning process on that
avatar.

this exact same method is used in various other detection systems already
on the market. some even allow the end user to customize which clients
they do not allow. i do believe that any system that is set up to ban or
remove unwanted clients should be left at the users choice. personally
there are a few clients that i do no tolerate anywhere near me. while
others i dont mind. but im not going to give someone else the right to ban
people from my land because they dont like the client those users are
using. Skills is not a Linden and should not have the authority to decide
which clients are allowed and which ones are not.