On Tuesday, July 1, 2003, at 11:14 PM, Jason Carreira wrote:
Ok, so this is how you turn off validation when coming into a
page, but
turn it on when coming out?

Exactly. You can apply validators at the alias level or at the Action class level (based on the validator file name). The alias level validators are added to the action level validators (and superclass validators, etc) to build up the whole list. In this way you can have some validators for one alias, but not the other.

Could you share an example of using an alias in this manner to kick-start me some here?

Definitely resource loading should be pluggable.  Having resources
statically in a WAR always seemed odd to me with Struts.  I
don't know
how good the Commons Resource code is (yes, I recognize the
questionable quality of Jakarta stuff too guys, and take what is good
and bitch about what is bad!) but if its a decent enough abstraction,
then lets use it.  If it sucks, then not.  Thoughts on this?

I'm open to this... What are its dependencies?

The project.xml lists several, so it looks too heavy duty for what xwork/webwork would want:

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-commons-sandbox/resources/ project.xml?annotate=1.3

A few other questions about WebWork:

- Is the Action interface going away? Mike axed it over the weekend, locally, but what's the verdict?

- How do you use other methods other than execute() in an Action?

- I still haven't fully grasped xwork.xml yet. What do "packages" do and how/why would I use them (let's keep this web-app specific so its more concrete for the sake of discussion)?

- Namespaces - this looks like what I need to do in order to isolate sections of our app ("/profile", "/events", etc) and keep them consolidated in one spot. Nice. I'll give this a try.

- Interceptor stacks - I see the debugStack in there. How would I go about using it? I'm assuming I just add an <interceptor-ref> element to the actions I wanted, or to the defaultStack to apply to all actions, right?

The wiki has been immensely helpful. Once I get all the pieces to my proof-of-concept app. completed I'll add some of what I learn back to it (the validation page, particularly, needs a bit more info to really make it work).

Erik