Gerardo wrote:

>what makes a variation precisely a variation?

I doubt there is any possibility of a precise answer.

However, I always like to make a distinction between a variation and a
development, a variation being a small change, such as opening a flap to
create a colour change, which does not change the fundamental
characteristics of the design, and a development being a larger change which
usually brings in a new design idea on top of what is already there.

Easy to say this ... much harder to back it up with actual examples.

But, for instance, if we think about modular origami and take Robert E
Neale's classic 6 waterbomb base octahedron we can see that it is, for
instance, possible to vary it by working a colour change on half the arms -
the ones that go outside the others. Equally it is possible to sink all the
corners ... and end up with Ed Sullivan's XYZ. These small sorts of changes
I would call variations.

If we change more aspects of the original design ... and forgive me but I am
now going to use my own designs as examples here ... because those are the
ones I know best ... we can bring out some of the arms into points and end
up with the Semi-Star ... or completely distort the form and end up with the
Enigma Cube. Equally we could use the design as a macromodule and end up
with the Octahedral Pyramid. I tend to regard all these as developments
rather than variations ... though I cannot draw a precise line at the point
where a variation ends and a development begins ... so that I guess it will
always be possible to debate whether a design is one of the other.

If you don't know the designs I am talking about see
http://www.origamiheaven.com/papercrystals.htm and
http://www.origamiheaven.com/macromodularorigami.htm

Dave