Hi Ralf,

VPB couples terrain with imagery storing them in exactly the same .ive tiles.

Normarily one shouldn't have to tweak
--radius-to-max-visible-distance-ratio, performance should be good
without any tweaks, and should scale to terabyte databases.

I found it pretty hard parsing your email thanks to all the acronyms
so am not entirely clear on what your hardware set up.

It may be that Delta3D is part of the problem, try building the VPB
database and viewing using osgviewer to see if there is performance
delta.

Use of Windows for a visual simulator is not something I would
recommend, the file system performance sucks big time, memory
management and threading support is not great either.   Install a
modern Linux and you'll probably find many of your issues gone.

I'd also recommend an upgrade to OSG-2.4 as the DatabasePager has been
improved w.r.t load balancing, keeping memory consumption much more
even.   OSG-2.4 also offers improvement to osgTerrain, such that one
can now control the sample density of elevation data via the
osgTerrain::Terrain class, to generate such databases you'll need to
build using SVN version of VPB and use the --terrain option.

Robert.