Hi Brett,

On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 3:51 AM, Brett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I am ready to move to Linux and have been for a long time, but am unsure
> which version to use, etc.  I have Unix experience from back before, but
> still unsure of the curve to choose the right version / tools.  Are Linuxes
> all the same, is there one better suited for developers.  What are the nice
> development tools for 3d, ie. image editing, model creation / editing and
> visual development environment with debugging? Thanks.

Justin's reply was pretty full,  I don't really have much to add.   I
use Kubuntu on
all my machines here.

I used to use Suse, now I've moved over to Kubuntu I'venot really looked back -
the key for me is the Ubuntu repositories, they make it really easy to grab
practically any development tool you need for you work, all with a couple clicks
in  GUI, or a single line of command line.  The proprietary NVidia drivers can
also be enabled just with a GUI click on first install.

All my Kids use Kununtu and love it, they range from 4 to 8 year olds.  So its
certainly not difficult to use, just takes a little getting used to
different ways of
doing things.

I'll add to Justin's mention about file system performance, if you do VPB work
then you'll find Linux several times faster to build than under Windows on the
same hardware.