James Turner wrote:
I'm encountering a bizarre problem with my X-Code build - with (so far) 2.5.5 and the 2.6.0-rc2 (will try 2.6.0-final in a moment). I'll say right now that I assume it must be a local config problem, I'm not trying to blame OSG for the problem (much), just need some help to get things working.

Using the supplied X-Code projects, I can build all of OSG just fine. It so happens that I'm switching the SDK from 10.4 to 10.5, and I have to fix one path in project to build : the osgWidgets path references itself via a path that only works in checkout, not a snapshot. Both of these things seem pretty minor and unrelated to the problem I'm having.

The problem is, having built **all** of OSG (in either debug or release, BTW), nothing works - all the OSG apps launch, but segfault within a few seconds - some immediately, some others sort of work (osgplanets, untextured) but then crash, others load but the display is broken (osgforrest, the tree billboard quads are random colors, then it crashes) and so on. The crashes are all very strange - deep inside the AGL / CGL code, pthread mutex or condvar internal segfaults (loads of these), or just in the guts of the GL driver. Most seem to be mangled pointers, but when I look at the OSG objects on the stack, they usually look okay - no obvious corruption, though I'm guessing what values are sane for the OSG internals.

So, something is obviously very screwed up with my build (or my runtime environment). I've built and run countless other GL applications with the same tool chain, and I build C++ apps every day - I am sceptical that something is seriously wrong with my compiler / OpenGL framework / GL driver. Oh, yes, this happens on two different machines (both running 10.5 and X-Code 3.0 / 3.1), a MacPro and a MacBook Pro.

Soooo - what on earth can be going on? I'm looking forward to testing a binary 2.6.0 release, but I'm also mystified. The whole thing feels like memory corruption or some hellish threading problem, but I don't see why I would be getting those when no one else is.

So, any bright ideas? I'd be happy to have my amazingly dumb mistake pointed out.

I suppose I should try a Cmake build of 2.6.0 as well.
James,

I can't speak about the Xcode project that comes with OSG, but I believe it is no longer actively maintained. While Xcode support is still far from perfect within CMake, I have made many recent improvements to the CMake build system Xcode generator. Give it a try. CMake 2.6 is required, and there is a nice GUI version on the CMake downloads page.

There are several caveats to building OSG on OSX that you should be aware of. Read the README.txt file in the base directory of the OSG 2.6 source code. Feedback is welcome.

-Eric