So you need @ minimum168 Mb/sec streaming bandwidth from your hard discs....

That's not utterly insane, but many older PC's won't be able to
deliver that sort of bandwidth.

On my current machine the burst transfer rate from cache (ie memory to
memory copy)
is only 184 Mb/sec.

Reading from HD I only get 60 Mb/sec at peak so I couldn't run
your program smoothly even if you haven't made any mistakes...

If you want your program to work on anything other than very high end machines,
you are going to have to change to a compressed image format.

http://www.ssTk.co.uk