Hi Remo,

As a first step to resolving the osgText issues with VAO I have
created a text_refactor branch off OSG master.

All I have done so far is add the ability of osgText::TextBase to have
NodeList _children that it traverses automatically, this _children
list is intended for the Text and Text3D classes to populate with
standard scene graph elements such as osg::Geometry/osg::StateSet to
render the text in conventional ways rather the the custom render code
that these classes currently have.

The next step will be to adapt osgText::Text to create the appropriate
subgraph to render the text and add this into the _children list.
osgText::Text is not a straight forward class so I expect we'll need
to slow fill in all the functionality bit by bit.  I welcome efforts
from the community in this effort.