Hi Piero,
the UPnP spec is more suitable for discovering devices in a local
network, we have discussed  in the past  about the possibility for
discovering OSGi gateways installing a proper UPnP device on each
platform, but if you need to control  a gateway remotely (WAN) the
approach suggested by Manuel works very fine!
(incubator.apache.org/felix/). Take a look at this presentation about
OSGi and JMX
(http://www-adele.imag.fr/users/Didier.Donsez/dev/osgi/jmxagent/jmxosgi.pdf).

regards,
francesco