I must say that “I don’t care” what others are going to do, all I know is that
I am way more productive with my home setup (four 1920x screens) with complete
control over my environment. As a consultant it also makes things much easier,
companies like Suncorp waste a lot of money going through their desktop
provisioning process when they won’t let contractors and consultants drop their
machines on their network.

From a security point of view, it also encourages the IT department to be open
in what they will support (extending the Internet into their environment) but
being much more security conscious about sensitive systems. It might mean the
end of the egg-shell defence.

The whole who pays for it question is probably a separate one. Suncorp might be
doing this to avoid paying for a laptop refresh, and possibly some licenses,
but they need to be careful. For example, if you have a grad working there, and
they are using Office Student edition to do work for Suncorp that could be a
violation of the agreement.

So the whole mechanics of software licensing is going to have to change as
well. If I was a Microsoft Account Manager, or any other account manager I
would be a little bit nervous because suddenly Suncorp doesn’t have as much
buying power, which affects the ability to make one sale to heavily impacts
quota. Their targets (if they are smart) are going to start to be built around
applications, and server licenses, not the desktop.

They should be lining up with vendors such as Dell and Lenovo to produce
compelling offers inside Suncorp which include the hardware, os, and
productivity suite.

My 2c

Regards
Mitch Denny
Readify | Chief Technology Officer
Suite 408 Life.Lab Building | 198 Harbour Esplanade | Docklands | VIC 3008 |
Australia
M: +61 414 610 141 | E: mitch.de...@readify.net<mailto:mitch.de...@readify.net>
| W: www.readify.net<http://www.readify.net/>

The content of this e-mail, including any attachments is a confidential
communication between Readify Pty Ltd and the intended addressee and is for the
sole use of that intended addressee. If you are not the intended addressee, any
use, interference with, disclosure or copying of this material is unauthorized
and prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error please contact the
sender immediately and then delete the message and any attachment(s).