On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 11:19 PM, Greg Keogh <g...@mira.net> wrote:

> >I try to keep it simple. I use the old XCopy to copy what is important to
> external hard drives (2 Copies) and keeping it safe.
>

> Don’t use xcopy, use robocopy.
>

> SERIOUS WARNING:
>

> My wife ran a batch file I created for her with an xcopy /S /D for almost a
> year to backup new/modified files to a removable HDD. By pure accident we
> discovered that it was failing prematurely with a weird DOS command “out of
> memory” kind of error (I can’t remember the exact error text) due to the
> path lengths being longer than 255 characters. So it turns out her backups
> were actually incomplete, but mercifully we didn’t suffer any ill effects.
>

> Had there been a pause command in the batch file we might have noticed, but
> there wasn’t. So I replaced it with robocopy /MIR and I feel a bit more
> confident now. Remember Murphy’s law, then remember O’Toole’s commentary on
> Murphy’s law.

@echo off

bit you.  Also not checking errorlevel.  But it's downright ugly handling
all of that in batch files.

And even robocopy doesn't handle open files.  (ref to Shadow copy?)

--
Meski

"Going to Starbucks for coffee is like going to prison for sex. Sure, you'll
get it, but it's going to be rough" - Adam Hills