Aha so Carbonite is another cloud backup like Mozy etc. I didn't see that
one last week when I ran a search for "cloud backup". It looks just like the
ones I rejected because they were a "sync backup" and were a bit
patronising.

I should explain to others that I realise with clarity what I've purchased
now with my Rackspace account: ... space and a REST API. That's all.

I've now got the kind of assembly language SDK of the cloud. They have a C#
authored API around the REST calls, and from the little bit I've seen so far
it seems quite complete and well written. There is an attractive Firefox
plug for a UI over the cloud files, but I don't use Firefox. There is a
beautiful Mac app for free as a UI, but that's no use to me. There is a $40
shareware app for Windows <http://www.cloudfilesmanager.com/> , but it looks
like it was written by a 15 year old kid for a school project.

So where does that leave me? ... I have to write my own apps and libraries
to integrate with the Rackspace cloud files. I usually hate reinventing the
wheel, but it looks like I have no choice. When my app is ready I think I'll
donate it for free to the Rackspace community. Luckily, the API is really
bland and simple, so the learning curve is shallow.

This also explains why Rackspace have no policy on security ... we don't
give a toss, it's your problem, we just give you the space.