On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 1:05 PM, Greg Keogh <g...@mira.net> wrote:

> >If there's a hole in my argument I need to know.
>

> Well, it seems clear to me that a version control system is written
> specifically for that purpose, and a backup system for that specific purpose
> (unless the designers and authors of the system have made some political
> statement about overlapping intentions).

Well, a VCS is supposed to be a superset of a backup.

> I’m sure the version software authors try to make the version system as
> robust as possible, but I did experience a serious corruption of Source Safe
> a few years ago and we never managed to get some archived old software
> versions out of it. For that reason I don’t consider a version system any
> kind of backup at all. At that previous job they were backing up the version
> backing files to tape, but it was clear that they had been backing up
> corrupt version files for a year or so.
>

> There’s the hole.

That's a hole in SourceSafe.  I acknowledge that sourcesafe isn't safe.
 (and I think MS do, as well, for large implementations)  Another 'hole' is
that files that SVN don't 'understand' get a complete new file for every
revision, rather than a diff.

--
Meski

"Going to Starbucks for coffee is like going to prison for sex. Sure, you'll
get it, but it's going to be rough" - Adam Hills