> BTW: I've been reading up a lot on J2EE lately and it appears more and
> more that a J2EE app server could quite nicely provide for my needs
> (despite all shortcomings and issues of course). Now if there only was a
> P5EE app server ;)

Hi Bas,

        This is number one on my wish list too.

        I need to fork a lot of processes per request ... the memory cost
of forking an apache child is too high though.

        So I've written my own mini webserver in Perl (which I need to
proxy to) but I'd prefer to have a Perl Application Server, listening on
port 80... I actually implemented the system in Java to use threads but it
ran really slowly under load ... so I gladly reverted to Perl.

        It has been something of a search for the 'Holy Grail' ... but I
think a compromise design would be something akin to
http://jetty.mortbay.org ... this is a lightweight application engine that
includes a HTTP/Servlet handler ... in other words: a P5EE application
server that you can plug a fast HTTP/HTTPs handler into.

NIge

--
Nigel Hamilton
Turbo10 Metasearch Engine