Bas A.Schulte wrote:
none of
them seemed to be stable/fast under heavy load even though I would have preferred that as it would allow me to do something to handle data-sharing between children via the parent which always seems to be in issue in Apache/mod_perl.
What are you trying to share? In addition to Rob's suggestion of using a database table (usually the best for important data or clustered machines) there are other approaches like IPC::MM and MLDBM::Sync.

Basically, I need some way to coordinate the children so each child can find out what the other children are doing.
Either of the approaches I just mentioned would be fine for this.

BTW: I've been reading up a lot on J2EE lately and it appears more and more that a J2EE app server could quite nicely provide for my needs (despite all shortcomings and issues of course).
What is it that you think you'd be getting that you don't have now?

- Perrin