At 11:06 PM 11/26/2002 +0100, Bas A.Schulte wrote:
>On Tuesday, November 26, 2002, at 09:01 PM, Perrin Harkins wrote:
>3. I install qmail on the various servers, and use that to push messages
>around. This'll take me a week or so (hopefully) to get it running
>reliably in production (I'm not a sysadmin by default). Later on, I
>realise that for each messages, a fullblown process is forked *per
>message*: load up perl, compile perl code etc..

Hi,

Similar to my question earlier about an all-Perl HTTP server,
I have asked myself whether there is a production-quality all-Perl
mail server.  This would allow you to write code in Perl to
process mail messages without forking a Perl interpreter per
message.

If anyone has more input, I'd like to know.

This is what I've found so far (and it appears to work with qmail).

   http://www.officevision.com/pub/p5ee/components.html#mail_server

There is a drop-in replacement called "qpsmtpd" for a certain server
within the qmail server suite (qmail-smtpd) which has been written
in Perl (thanks to Ask Bjoern Hansen).

   http://www.qmail.org/top.html
   http://www.nrg4u.com/qmail/the-big-qmail-picture-103-p1.gif
   http://develooper.com/code/qpsmtpd/

I know this really wasn't your question, but this was an interesting
discovery that was relevant specifically to your mail delivery problem.

Stephen

P.S. There is a mail server written entirely in Java, called "James",
     hosted by Apache.  There ought to be one for Perl.

     http://jakarta.apache.org/james/index.html