Stephen Adkins wrote:
Similar to my question earlier about an all-Perl HTTP server,
I have asked myself whether there is a production-quality all-Perl
mail server. This would allow you to write code in Perl to process mail messages without forking a Perl interpreter per
message.
I think you'd be better off using a well-known and reliable mail server and simply solving the forking problem with something like PersistentPerl or Matt's PPerl (or a small stub that sends requests to mod_perl).

P.S. There is a mail server written entirely in Java, called "James",
     hosted by Apache.
I don't think it's very popular. Most people use the JavaMail API, which is part of J2EE. It's just an API, and does not require that the server be written in Java.

- Perrin