Hi,

I will be able to tell you more about experiences with Spread in
the coming months.

Our site has recently been moving to upgrade our load balancing
and high availability capabilities using mod_backhand for Apache-based
load balancing and Wackamole/Spread for high availability.
These tools are created by the Center for Networking and Distributed
Systems at Johns Hopkins University.

   http://www.backhand.org/
   http://www.backhand.org/wackamole/
   http://www.spread.org/
   http://www.cnds.jhu.edu/

We will not be using any proprietary front-end load balancers at all.
And the peer-oriented Wackamole solution allows for all of the
servers to be in play rather than having some systems serve as
quiet "backup" systems, simply waiting for their primaries to fail.
(as described by the Linux Virtual Server project,
http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/HighAvailability.html)

I also note that this approach allows for Perl Application Servers
based on Apache/mod_perl (as discussed at length in recent threads)
to automatically have load balancing and high availability
properties (when configured, of course).

The fact that our high availability and load-balancing architecture
is evolving on top of this suite of tools indicates that
Spread (in the form of Spread::Queue for Perl,
http://search.cpan.org/author/JMAY/Spread-Queue/) holds great promise
as a reliable network messaging system.

If anyone else has actual experience with any of these tools,
I welcome your input.

Stephen