Hello again list: Well..as best as I remember, last night it had fifteen hours left. But today when I turned it on, it said "an hour"..so I can't remember if I shut the power off last night or not! As has been stated, if you're not listening to a book (and don't turn off the machine's power)..it's supposed to shut off in thirty minutes. I have a friend who ran into this same thing! But let me ask this: is there a place on the "Bard Talk" site that tells if there is new firmware available? It may be as was mentioned..if there is a problem, it may be that a firmware update will take care of this! Tom Kaufman