Okay..I obviously am doing something wrong, for what you guys are trying to tell me isn't matching up with what I'm seeing here; I can open a combo box and can get to "Windows Default"..but then when I tab, I'm getting a "save As" button! So I try to "save it"..but it tells me that I cannot save as "Windows default"..and I _do not_ see an "apply button! HELP!
Tom Kaufman
----- Original Message ----- From: "Adrian Spratt" <adr...@adrianspratt.com>
To: "'PC Audio Discussion List'" <pc-audio@pc-audio.org>
Sent: Sunday, February 24, 2013 5:18 PM
Subject: RE: Have Lost Windows Sounds

Tom,

It appears you landed in the right area of the control panel, followed by
the sounds manager. As Rebecca suggested, once you land in that tree view,
arrow either up or down until you hear Windows default. I think that's the
right term, and it's the one Rebecca mentioned. Once you have that spoken,
which is to say focused, tab to the Apply button and press spacebar, then
tab to the OK button and press spacebar again.

I'm assuming you have XP. I'm using Win7 and so can't go through the process
myself anymore, but Rebecca's instructions remind me of exactly what was
needed in XP.