From: Pc-audio [mailto:pc-audio-boun...@pc-audio.org] On Behalf Of John
Covici
Sent: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 8:53 PM
To: PC Audio Discussion List <pc-audio@pc-audio.org>
Subject: Re: Bit rate settings with Total Recorder

There are certain limitations for this -- I use it all the time, but
it won't work on some streams like anything that uses flash, and it
doesn't work on youtube links.

On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 20:09:09 -0500,
Dane Trethowan wrote:

> As far as I know the same holds true.
> Now I?m doing this from memory as its been a while since I used Total
Recorder, you go into Background recording where you?re prompted to enter an
UR that links to a stream of a radio station on the net etc.
> Total Recorder captures the data from this stream in real time thus
avoiding the Sound Card completely so its just total recorder saving the
data from the stream to the computer, nothing more and nothing less.
> You can open url?s or streams in Total Recorder for listening in the same
way from the File Menu.

> > On 11 Jan 2017, at 12:01 pm, Tom Kaufman <tomca...@comcast.net> wrote:
> >
> > Have a question for Dane: you say you can have TR record and not have
the screen reader interfere with anything.  I have the standard version of
TR, so does the same hold true here?  And if so, how is this done?
> > Thanks,
> > Tom Kaufman

Trethowan
> > Sent: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 7:14 PM
> > To: PC Audio Discussion List <pc-audio@pc-audio.org>
> > Subject: Re: Bit rate settings with Total Recorder
> >
> > I'm meerly making a suggestion which would save you heaps of time and
> > frustration in the end for several reasons.
> >
> > What you're doing at the moment is known as a software recording and
> > this may mean that other audio surces could be heard in the recording
> > itself such as system sounds from your computer or even your Screen
Reader.

> > If you Capture the stream as I outlined then the pricess is completely
> > independent of your Sound card thus you can carry on with other
> > activities on your computer, have your Screen Reader ttalk to its hearts

> > content etc.
> >
> > Anyway how you do things is completely up to you but I do suggest you
> > read the primers on Total Recorders web page wich contain some great
> > information on this sort of thing.
> >
> > Total Recorder is an incredibly powerful tool and much of that power is
> > hidden away.
> >
> > What version of Total Recorder are you using by the way?
> >

> > On 1/11/2017 6:16 AM, Andy wrote:
> >> Hi Dane.
> >>
> >> I don't set TR to do anything.  When I launch it, JAWS announces,
> >> press the space bar to record, so I do, and end up with quite a good
> >> quality WAV file, of the show that I'm listening to.
> >>
> >> I just was not sure if I  could be doing this job of recording better.
> >>
> >> In your message you advised that the BBC were broadcasting at 320 kbps
> >> and if I recorded any programme, then TR would simply grab it at the
> >> same quality.
> >>
> >> I often use Tap-in radio or the assessible bbc Iplayer to stream the
> >> show, but I'm thinking that perhaps you are telling me to record
> >> directly from Internet Explorer rather than Tap-in radio?
> >>
> >> Am I right?  Or is it very much the same thing whither I stream
> >> through Tap-in radio, the Accessable BBC Iplayer or Internet explorer.
> >>

> >> Incidentaly, BBC radio 1, 2, 3, 4, and 6 are all termed "Global"
> >> stations, thus the 320 kbps.  However, my favourate station is Radio
> >> Scotland, but this is considered as a Reginal station and only
> >> streamed at 128 kbps.
> >>
> >> So much for equality, where my national station is obviously inferiour
> >> to all the other "British" Broadcasting Company stations!
> >>

> >> Very best wishes.
> >>
> >> Andy.
> >>

> >> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Dane Trethowan"
> >> <grtd...@internode.on.net>