Mike Johnston <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> The PDML might be viewed in aggregate to evaluate general
>> perceptions and trends.

>One thing I'm saying is that we may _not_ be an accurate reflection of
>general perceptions and trends. We're an enthusiast group with very
>"non-general" attitudes and tastes. Just the fact that so many of us prefer
>older bodies and manual-focus lenses seems to bear that out.

I think if you look at what we're *doing* as opposed to saying we're closer
to mainstream than you might think ;-) It is, after all, the vocal members
whom I suggested Pentax would ignore that are the biggest manual focus
proponents.

Look at how much discussion has been devoted to DSLRs, hardly a topic for
manual focus purists. I think that if you filter out a few irrational rants
you could see a trend toward consensus on DSLR issues: Pentax distinguishes
itself from other brands with unsurpassed lens-body compatibility, so it's
not surprising that this is regarded as essential in a DSLR body (and I
think the PDML is an accurate representation that, thought it might not
figure into a new user's decision to buy Pentax, that same person will
appreciate it greatly *after* buying a Pentax). Another common feeling I
detect is that a full-frame sensor is essential *eventually* (Canon has
pretty much made that a given with the EOS-1Ds - have you read the reviews
at Luminous Landscape or http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos1ds/ yet?),
but most would accept a smaller sensor now if the price is reasonable (under
$2000.00 or so). Another - accurate, I think - impression you get from the
PDML is that Pentax needs a DSLR not so much for the people who would buy it
but for the people who fear that Pentax will be left behind if they don't
introduce one.

So for SLR users, I think the PDML (with judicious filtering) is closer to
mainstream than commonly perceived. That said, isn't the bulk of Pentax's
camera sales P&S now? So you're probably right and I guess you can pretty
much ignore everything I just wrote. :-P

Carry on.

--
Mark Roberts
Photography and writing