It appears that Pentax makes both a 50 F1.4 SMC (52mm filter) and a 50 F1.4 SMC-M (49mm filter). Which one is better optically, build, etc.?
Steve Pearson

 >They're identical optically (although the coatings *may* have been improved
 >in the M version). The SMC 50 f1.4 (52mm filter) has better build quality.
Mark Roberts

Hmm.... I thought Boz uncovered some sort of hard evidence that they are slightly different?
William in Utah.
Indeed, M 50/1.4 is a new design. The lens diagram for the K and the M lenses are different but for some reason the M diagram ended up in Boz's site as the K diagram. I sent Boz many diagrams in 1998 so I may have sent an M diagram for the K one, or Boz made the mistake of taking the M one for the K lens. Anyhow, the confusion persisted for years until I noticed on the PDML that it was said repeatedly that both lenses were the same. In july I found the origin of this confusion:

Hi Boz,

I have been puzzled for a long time by this repeated statement that Pentax 50mm 1.4 K and M share the same optical design. I knew it wasn't the case. I even wrote to the list once but nobody took note. I recently discovered why: PDMLers believe in Pope's infallibility.

As our K-mount's Pope, I request you to check these 3 jpegs (and see that the optical design presented on site for the K lens is in fact the one for the M lens) and write a papal bull to rectify the erroneous statement.

I know you secretly believe, like most of us, that all Pentax 50/1.4s are pagan gods...

Truly yours,

The Hooded Monk

P.S. I still have to scrutinize other pages of The Site.
The Pope agreed the give me an audience.

Hi Andre,

 As our K-mount's Pope, I request you to check these 3 jpegs (and see
 that the optical design presented on site for the K lens is in fact
 the one for the M lens) and write a papal bull to rectify the
 erroneous statement.
Amen, I have seen the light!  I will make the necessary changes, but it
will take me another 2 weeks or so.  (...)

 P.S. I still have to scrutinize other pages of The Site.
Study the Pages, my son!  This is the only way towards him...

Halleluja!
Boz

Then came the Papal bull...