On 4/3/04,MALCOLM disgorged:

>There seem to be no end of these viruses now. I can see me partitioning the
>hard disc and running Linux on one part for e-mail. My laptop is really on
>it's last legs now and I would like a Mac to replace it. The only niggle is
>the lack of floppy disc drive - and many PC manufacturers are now not
>fitting them. I use these discs a great deal, and I dislike the thought of
>having to burn a CD just for a few files which sit easily on a floppy.

Malc, external USB floppy disk drives can be purchased and will work on a
Mac as well as a PC. May I make a suggestion? If you have a computer, I
would hope that you would be backing up at the very least all the user
data you create? And preferably backing up the whole lot, say on an
external drive or whatever. If you do so, why the need for a floppy drive
or indeed the floppy disks?

I have a Zip (100) drives in my PowerBook, and we have an external Zip
100 knocking about somewhere, but to be honest they do not get used very
much at all, and when I get a wireless LAN set up in the house, they will
be almost obsolete.

However, to each their own. Floppies can still be used in this day and
age, Mac or PC. No problem. You can even still buy an internal one and
fit it in your computer, just like they used to <g>.

HTH

Cheers,
  Cotty

___/\__