Cotty wrote:

> Malc, external USB floppy disk drives can be purchased and
> will work on a Mac as well as a PC. May I make a suggestion?
> If you have a computer, I would hope that you would be
> backing up at the very least all the user data you create?

Oh yes! Having learnt the hard way, once a week I back up my files to ZIP
discs - chosen as they are simple and quick to back up too. External floppy
drives are still available new? Great, I'll be next door to a computer shop
on Sunday, I'll take a mooch.

> And preferably backing up the whole lot, say on an external
> drive or whatever. If you do so, why the need for a floppy
> drive or indeed the floppy disks?

It's either that or 5.5 inch floppies, some of my friends have yet to get
computers with CD drives. So I use floppy discs. One of them refuses to get
internet connected because the net is full of viruses. It's not all cutting
edge stuff you know!  This machine has a multi-card reader, DVD,CD,ZIP and
floppy drive. I was not impressed to be told I couldn't have a 5.5 inch
drive. I have stacks of those, including a copy of Windows v2.0, in those
dark days before the launch of 3.1 which made it famous. I collect and enjoy
using old software. Someone has too ;-)

> I have a Zip (100) drives in my PowerBook, and we have an
> external Zip 100 knocking about somewhere, but to be honest
> they do not get used very much at all, and when I get a
> wireless LAN set up in the house, they will be almost obsolete.

You're years ahead of me.

> However, to each their own. Floppies can still be used in
> this day and age, Mac or PC. No problem. You can even still
> buy an internal one and fit it in your computer, just like
> they used to <g>.

Fine. I don't much like modern computers, even though I can now use them
quite well. In this respect, I would be better off with a Mac for myself, so
I can concentrate on my hobby and not the computer.

Thanks,