At the Monterey Bay Aquarium, you can get right up to the glass on most of the Outer Bay exhibits.

Bring a monopod with a ball head or flex head on it. A tripod is unwieldy in the often crowded, dimly lit areas, but a monopod will be fine. Light levels are low and you need something to stabilize the camera. This one was taken with a Panasonic FZ10 .. small sensor cameras are surely not at their best in these very low light circumstances:

http://homepage.mac.com/ramarren/photo/Others4/source/girl-and- jellies-0507.htm

The *ist DS will do a LOT better.

I plan another trip to the Aquarium someday soon; it's one of my favorite places and I haven't been there in way too long. I gave a funding contribution in my mother's name to the creation of the Outer Bay exhibit halls as a christmas gift some years ago... the jellies and the big tank are things that I especially love. I can stand in the light of the big tank for hours and never be bored. :-)

Godfrey