I suppose it's a bit unseemly for me to make comment (or am I making
excuses) about a photo that I'm posting, but I'll do it anyway.

I know this isn't terribly sharp, as it was handheld about about
1/15th or 1/30th, aperture wide-open, and I think I missed the focus a
bit.  The lighting with the spot on Tim the trumpet player was tough.
Still, there's a dynamic I like about this one.  Not one of my best,
but not one of my worst, either:

http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=4221415&size=lg

I'd be interested in knowing if you think the obvious technical
deficiencies are overcome by the image itself.  Thanks for commenting.

cheers,
frank