Before the 1960's a lot of wildlife photography was done with a Leica and a 135mm lens, back then labor was cheap and there was not a lot of money for equipment and photographers were willing to invest a day in getting a decent shot. Today money is more readily available than time, so one tends to invest in long lenses. A compromise seems the most viable and I would think that one should be able to do okay with a 400mm on an istD series camera which gives the same working distance as a 600mm does on a 35mm camera. All that said, I have never really been much of a wildlife photographer and the longest lens I own is a 80-200/2.8 (+ a 2x converter which I have seldom used).

One should not let a lust for toys be confused with needs. Toys are nice to have but one should not lie to one's self about it.

graywolf
http://www.graywolfphoto.com
http://webpages.charter.net/graywolf
"Idiot Proof" <==> "Expert Proof"
-----------------------------------

Russell Kerstetter wrote:
What is a decent lens (or a decent length) for shooting birds?  I read
a book about this topic, and author prefers to shoot at 200, but I
have noticed that many of the shots posted here are much longer than
that, and often with a TC.  This also brings to mind Tim from Norway
and having problems even with a 500.  So is 200 (or 135 for angle of
view) unrealistic until I have mastered stalking?  What I have right
now is the 18-55 kit, A24/2.8 and a Super-Tak 50/1.4.  So the only way
I can get close enough for a decent picture is if I also bring my
Ruger, and I don't think that would be a good idea.

And further more.......  if 200 (135) is an appropriate length, the
lens' that I have been considering are:

DA50-200/4-5.6
FA80-320/4.5-5.6
A70-210/4

any comments on these lens' would be great, or should I instead be
looking at primes?  (I do have a very limited budget.)  I believe that
they can each be had for around $200 US or less, and of course I would
go for an older MF over a newer AF if it is better.

My point is that I would like to know what I need to start looking/saving for.

Thanks.

Russell