Hi John,

   The other two FA lenses I have appear to focus more precisely.
   However, the error may be covered by the larger DOF, as both are
   slow zooms (f/4 - f/5.6). The 80-320/4-5.6 in particular appears to
   focus consistently on the same point, regardless of the initial
   focus position.

   The problem I experience with FA 50/1.4 is focusing closer than
   infinity on far-away objects. The error varies with initial focus
   point, ambient light, spot or wide area sensors, but is always
   visible both in viewfinder and on slides. To make it even stranger,
   if I manually set focus at infinity, then switch to AF, the camera
   will still force a closer focus point.

   With closer subjects (under 5 meters), the camera-lens combo always
   focus precisely and consistently. This and the fact that I shoot
   landscapes on manual focus make me consider the above just a minor
   annoyance.

   BTW, the MZ-5N is indeed a great manual focus camera! Spot meter,
   TTL flash and even [shields on!] the great viewfinder concur to this.

   Servus, Alin