Well, I finally have been able to secure a nice long Pentax telephoto
lens. The FA*250-600mm/f5.6 zoom!
I had been dreaming about the FA*600/4 ever since I started shooting
birds, but a good guy who lives in my region just happened to put
this fine lens up for sale since he wasn't shooting with it very much
and was transitioning to Canon gear. Even though a pretty reliable
source indicated to me that this lens is not exceptional on digital
bodies I couldn't pass up on the opportunity. I was able to try it
out for about 10 days while the owner was out of the country, but the
weather here for the most part was pretty crappy and I was too scared
to take it anywhere outside of my home to shoot with it since I
wasn't sure If I was going to purchase it.
I decided that I might as well go for it and if it didn't work out I
could always sell it. Even though f5.6 is not as fast as I would
prefer and a zoom would not be as sharp as a prime, I figured the
flexibility of having the wide zoom range could come in handy and the
chances of finding a used 600/f4 in my price range would be pretty slim.
Anyhow, here is one of the first few images from it and the K10D when
we had a little bit of decent light:

http://i.pbase.com/o6/87/63987/1/75415076.oCor9YTy.IMGP0850.jpg

Oh yeah, this puppy is pretty heavy. I'm hoping my tripod (Benro
1327) is stout enough as well as the Wimberley Sidekick without
having to go to the full Wimberley head.
I'm really looking forward to getting out in the field with this baby.

JayT