On Thursday, December 6, 2001, at 12:48  AM, aimcompute wrote:

> I think Mafud does have a point here.   There's a difference between
> taking
> your digital camera into a department store and getting their
> run-of-the-mill prints back, and taking it to a pro-lab.  Same with
> film.
>
> I haven't priced this... but I would guess there is a price
> difference, a
> quality difference, and a capability difference.
>
> I don't take my regular film to a Wal-Mart (no offense Bill).  If it's
> family snapshots, yes I do. I usually shoot transparency, so I take it
> the best "pro" lab in town I know of, Media Specialties.

Mafud was arguing that there is an "outrageous" price discrepancy
between printing from digital vs. printing from negs, making it
unsuitable for granny.  In response, we listed two pro labs and Wal-Mart
as pricing their digital and chemical the same -- not the same as each
other, mind you.  I truly doubt that Wal-Mart charges as much as I do
for a chemical print.  Just that Wal-Mart charges one price, regardless
of media, and that the pro labs listed also charge one price regardless
of media.

No one on this list (aside from Mafud) ever said that Wal-Mart was a pro
lab, or that Wal-Mart's prices were comparable to those of a pro lab.

Mafud has, however, six times now evaded the question of pricing at his
lab of choice (though he took great pains to explain how expensive they
are).  We can only be forced to assume that he was making it up, and
that there is, in fact, not a great price discrepancy between chemical
and digital prints there.

How are the prices at Media Specialties when you compare digital to
chemical?

-Aaron