Hmmm, my isp doesn't seem to want to cooperate with message rule
8.
----- Original Message -----
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Subject: Re: some interesting NG thoughts on digital consumers

> And right about here you're gong to tell me how you and ~your~
Walmart lab
> ~do~ have the facilities and that ~you~, Mr. Robb, can and do
individual
> proccessing requests by dialing in their desired KODAK
processing channel.
> You'll probably also say you can and do discriminate between
PORTRA and GOLD
> and FUJI emulsions and that your Walmart can print on any
paper and nearly
> any size I choose, even if it's on KODAK SUPRAll @ 11 x 14.
> Go ahead, tell me.

Since I have already asked you once to address me with a modicum
of respect, I will presume that it is just your nature to be an
abuser. I can live with this. That you are offensively infantile
is your problem and not mine.
Now, to answer your question:

The Noritsu 2102 printers that I use read the discrete DX code
off the film edge and sets the film channel accordingly. The
film is then scanned by a high density CCD camera and the
negatives are projected onto a monitor. Colour and density
correction is then manually applied to each and every negative
on the roll.
So, yes, we do discriminate between manufactuere and type of
film.
And yes, we print every negaitive on an individual basis.
I have stated in the past that a large prints and custom
cropping are outside the purvue of a Wal~Mart photo lab (but you
knew that, right?)
We work within the limitations that are given to us, in terms of
size of print and cropping options, and paper type. We have no
choice in this.
When we have to send someone to a custom lab we are quite
willing to. It is just good customer service to make every
attempt to enable a customer into the product they want.
We do not compromise quality in areas we can control.
We run C-41 and RA-4 process controll strips at the beginning of
every day, we balance all paper widths and surfaces to a common
colour point daily. We pre judge print every single negative
that goes through our printers, and we inspect every single
print for defects, and redo the ones that fall outside our
acceptable limits.
Our limits, because we are an amateur photofinishing minilab are
not quite as tight as a pro lab should be, but we don't send out
anything we wouldn't buy ourselves.
It is easier to do the job correctly the first time. This is the
work ethic that is part of the entire Wal~Mart culture in
Canada, and really, is the work ethic of Canadians in general.
I hope this answers your question.
Now, wouldn't the world be a better place if we all were willing
to back up our claims with facts?
Any journalist worth his salt knows this.
William Robb