Late on the thread, and being able to read other ideas do have some advantages.

I am very annoyed by this behavior. Specially when it's not a family pic and looks this is the case. Assuming you gave your friend one of your photos - the one you took because you ARE a photographer and not because he asked you or because it's his kid on the photo.

I'd talk to my friend. Tell him (or her, makes no diff) that I am serious about my photos, and that's including the exact presentation, and that any repro is not ok with me, because: 1) it's MY work and I'm the one entitled to copy or not, 2) it's MY work and I'm the one in charge of the quality, 3) it's MY work and the moment I chose to present him I didn't include anyone else in the present but him. And yes, the choice IS mine, since it is MY work.

Do sign you photos, date and in case of gifts, speaking for myself I'd be very honored to see it properly dedicated (assuming that's the word) to me. Because the gesture IS important, and that's a photo you gave me - not one I bought. If my something (Dad is no fool and a photographer himself), in charge of framing my gift would do some xerox, scanning or even photographing my gift to repro, I would beat him hard. Not only because it's your work, but also because it's MY gift...

OTOH, it IS a cumpliment, of sorts, and that kind of behavior - copyright bypass - is deep into most minds. If they download the Mona Lisa, whyinhell not to xerox that pretty pic??? They don't do it with bad stuff - and every master gets copied sooner or later.

LF

Christine Aguila escreveu:
Hi Everyone:

I'd very much like to know everyone's views about something that has just happened to me; here's the story:

I gave a nice print--as a gift--to a friend. My friend's father-in-law took the print to get it framed, and come to find out, he also made some scans of the print and gave them to family members. I'm just going to come out and say it--I'm really irked by this. I often sign my prints in the lower right hand edge, but I didn't on this print.

How irked would you guys be?  What, if anything, would you guys do or say?

Thanks in advance.
Cheers, Christine

Luiz Felipe
luiz.felipe at techmit.com.br