Good point on the paying client - for a loooong time I was considering the pro "discount" in the lab just a poor compensation for the extra job of taking the order and delivering the prints. The moment our local labs started offering the same price to any customer I started delivering the negs on most jobs.

About the quality, their probable inability to perceive the low quality of the repro wouldn't make it easier, since I able and wouldn't enjoy the knowledge of my work being watched as a poor repro. Signed or not, still important to me or I wouldn't care to present it.

LF

Bruce Dayton escreveu:
I'm with Paul on this.  Quite some time back, I came to feel that the
world in general no longer assigns any value to the physical print.
Probably for a variety of reasons including, ease of duplication,
display techniques (web, digital frames, etc.) and the already
mentioned mindset of the snapshot/memory maker.

Because of that, anytime I am dealing with a paying client, I put all
the money to be made into the service of producing the photo, rather
than loading the cost into the prints themselves.  This way, no
matter what they might do about prints (none-digital file,few,lots) I have made
my
money.

So in this case, as has already been stated, be flattered that he
thought it was good enough to copy and distribute.  You might want to
contact him and let him know that you could provide the original
digital file from which much better prints could be made.  Chances
are that no one who received a print will care about the quality -
including the Father-In-Law.

--
Luiz Felipe
luiz.felipe at techmit.com.br