I was pointed to Pentax by a friend who owned one, and at the time I had my
first camera, a Voigtlander Vito CD: nice camera, fixed lens but good
quality, built-in rangefinder and selenium cell light-meter.  I was
intrigued by the possibility of more than one lens, and he was good enough
to lend me his kit for a day or so to check it out.  Result was, there being
no way to buy cameras on the island we then lived on, another friend bought
my SV for me on her way home via Singapore.  When I got back to England a
couple of years later, I started to get more lenses, so when I upgraded
later, staying with Pentax made sense.

In earlier discussions we've had in this group over issues such as AF speed,
metering accuracy, write speed, the outcome has normally been that for some,
these are deal-breakers, for others not.  For me, they're not as not much of
my photography is compromised by them: occasionally I'd like faster AF,
usually when trying to take shots of speeding grand-children.  Exposure
accuracy on my film Pentaxes has always been good, and I find the *ist-D
gets it right most often.

I think it's always a case of YMMV, isn't it?

John in Brisbane