Why Pentax? I couldn't come up with a good  reason, so I went with Canon.

Note I started with the K-1000 and liked  it. Went Pentax Digital with the
DS then the K-100. I liked the size of the  lenses compared to Canon (much
smaller and lighter weight) and I do think Pentax  glass is good.

But I like zooms, and it took them about two years to come  out with the
promised new zooms (for DSLRs).

So that's where they lost  me, the marketing phase, the lag-time from
announcement to in-the-stores. I got  tired of waiting and sold my K-100 and
remaining Pentax lenses. And, note, I  took tons of good shots in the time it
took for them to finally make the zooms I  wanted available. In other words, I
would have lost a lot of shots waiting. (I  am not that fond of most
primes.) Anyway, that should be no surprise to a lot of  you, because you know
you
had to wait a long time -- Pentax marketing leaves a  lot to be desired.

I, however, still have a Pentax Optio A40 and in some  situations it is
dandy. Like a recent trip to Disneyland, when I didn't want to  lug a big
camera around the park.

Marnie aka Doe  :-)