For Windows users, MicroSoft has a free, unsupported PowerToy called SyncToy that works well for backup and maintains the original file format. It comes in both 32 and 64-bit flavors. You can find it here...

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=c26efa36-98e0-4ee9-a7c5-98d0592d8c52&displaylang=en

*http://tinyurl.com/2cu9fh*

-p

On 1/31/2010 10:01 AM, Adam Maas wrote:
On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 10:45 AM, Doug Franklin
<jehosep...@mindspring.com>  wrote:
On 2010-01-31 6:42, Cotty wrote:

To wipe the main external drive and simply drag and drop the backup onto
it?

or

To wipe the main external drive and use the backup software to allow it
to do its thing and clone back onto it?
I don't know about MAC specifics, since I'm a Windows and Linux sort of guy.
  But I don't like using backup software, because it usually doesn't leave
the files in a directly accessible format on the backup target. So, I
generally just do regular file copies to the backup media.  I don't
typically use the GUI for tasks like this, because I've found that on most
systems the command line tools for copying files work faster, since they
don't spend any time dinking around keeping the screen up to date.  So, for
me, it'd be a small shell script or something that simply copies everything
I want backed up to the external drive.

--
Thanks,
DougF (KG4LMZ)

Most good backup software leaves readable copies of files on the
destination drive when copying to a standard filesystem. I tend to use
rsync-based backup strategies myself, but there's a zillion good
options on Mac, Linux or PC that don't behave as you suggest.

00:39:00