On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 12:40 PM, Cotty <cotty...@mac.com> wrote:
> On 31/1/10, steve harley, discombobulated, unleashed:
>
>>btw, i'm not certain what Cotty's goal is with his procedure, but Mac
>>disks don't really need defragging:
>>
>><http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1375?viewlocale=en_US>
>>
>>so the only benefit i can see to Cotty's wipe & restore ritual is to
>>avoid filesystem corruption; it would save a lot of time and probably be
>>just as safe to simply run Disk Utility and verify the volume
>>periodically; then use the wipe and restore approach only if/when an
>>error is reported
>
> Thanks for this, v interesting.

That's why I said in my first response "If the notion of doing this is
to reduce fragmentation and enhance performance ... "

Cotty uses his drive for video originals as well as editing scratch
space, which can indeed fill up most of the volume and cause
fragmentation. For most uses, Mac OS X systems volumes are pretty
unlikely to become fragmented, particularly if you maintain 20-30%
free space on your working volumes.

--
Godfrey
  godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com