On 2010-02-01 3:05, Boris Liberman wrote:

I would say something like "I suggest that we do so and so" and
according to my boss "I suggest" was interpreted specifically as an
order, not as a suggestion or as an indication of one option among
several possible courses of action.

1. Is indeed this is the case? To the point, my trip was to Maryland
not far from Washington, DC, if that matters.

It would not be the case to me. I would think it a suggestion, not an order.

As you realize, it is rather frustrating to say something
and be understood very differently than originally intended...

I would think that sort of thing would be more on the line of personal preferences than any widespread (dis)agreement with the "I suggest ..." phrasing. I don't know too many people that would interpret that as an order, unless spoken by one's "boss", a cop, or some other authority figure.

--
Thanks,
DougF (KG4LMZ)