Boris,
I think you have ventured into the tricky landscape of selling your
ideas to people.
I suspect Tom C. is very right about what 'tone' and manner you used.
'I suggest' is pretty direct language from a vendor to a client.
'You might want to think about doing something like this...' or
'One way to do this could be...' or
'It's just my 2 cents, but it might be easier to...'  or the old classic
'Forgive my poor English skills/ Russian directness/ geeky social skills...'
My bet is that you are projecting an image of being too DIRECTIVE in
your meetings and that you need to be more CONSULTATIVE.
(Think of it like an old friend suggesting you might want to do this
or that to get along better with your girlfriend)
It's not a matter of good technical work, but an issue of sweet
talking the client.
You are of an age and experience level where these skills will make a
big difference.
Listen to your boss.  Ask for his/her feedback on how each meeting goes.
Take this as advice from another technical expert who has stumbled and
fallen over these issues many times.  :-)
Regards,  Bob S.