On Feb 24, 2010, at 3:34 PM, Mark Roberts wrote:

> paul stenquist wrote:
>

>> On Feb 24, 2010, at 2:42 PM, Mark Roberts wrote:
>>
>>> I don't think it's so much a matter of Pentax moving up to full-frame
>>> as full-frame coming down to Pentax's current demographic. Right now
>>> the entry point for full-frame is $2000 (U.S.) but absolutely no one
>>> believes it's going to remain that high.
>>>
>>> What's interesting to me is the question of which direction Pentax
>>> eventually takes with full-frame: High-megapixel and high resolution
>>> (like the Sony A850) or big-pixel-size and low-noise (like the Nikon
>>> D700). I'm thinking it might be the latter...
>>>
>> Or an optimized APS format camera. That might be the direction Pentax takes.
>> I don't care one way or the other, but the lens lineup suggests that full
>> frame isn't in Pentax' product plan.
>
> Many of the lenses released recently have been full-frame compatible
> (DA 70mm f/2.4 Limited, DA 40mm f/2.8 Limited, DA* 55mm f/1.4,
> DA*200mm f/2.8, DA*300mm f/4.0 and DA*60-250mm f/4.0). I'm confident
> full-frame is in their plans because I've talked to the top people at
> Pentax USA and they simply aren't stupid enough to ignore what's
> coming with regards to the entry price of full-frame. Say $1600 within
> a year from now?

Well, I hope you're right. As long as we get better autofocus and a fast frame
rate at the same time. I'd also want at least 14 megapixels at the APS crop
size. Given those parameters, full frame is fine with me. But I'd take the
better autofocus and faster frame rate over the bigger sensor any time. And I
still think there's a niche for an industry leader in APS. Pentax insiders have
said the same thing on a number of occasions. Time will tell.

> Personally, I'll be getting a Sony A850 as soon as my tax refund
> arrives (12 x 18 prints at 300ppi with no interpolation) and getting
> by with a couple of 3rd-party primes (Sony's selection of full-frame
> lenses isn't that great and really the good ones - the Zeiss lenses -
> are mostly zooms).

A K7 frame is 240 dpi at 13 x 19. Upscaling it in PhotoShop to 12 x 18 at 300
ppi doesn't result in any loss of quality that the human eye can detect without
assistance. I make 24 x 30 prints for some of the folks whose cars I shoot for
the mags. The pics are shot with the DA* 60-250, and the detail in the prints
is excellent. That's all the resolving power I need at the moment. I've seen
prints of similar size made from 30 megapixel MF shots. There's a noticeable
difference at a viewing distance of about six inches, but it's truly minor.

But I think you'll like the Sony. A friend of mine shoots one and has been very
pleased with the lenses and the camera operation. He's also shot Leica M8 and
Canon Mark Ii, so he has a good point of reference.

Paul