> On Feb 23, 2010, at 11:15 PM, Tom C wrote:
> I almost never use the camera on my cell phone, granted it's about 3
> years old.
>
> I find the mindset of those who use their cell phone as their only or
> predominant camera hard to fathom. I guess it's more about sharing the
> image immediately than it is about the image itself.

A couple of examples why I am glad to have a cellphone camera:
a. My father-in-law, in a hospital bed, recovering, giving me a thumbs-up.
Quick shot with the iPhone, quick "good-news" email w/ photo attachment to
members of the extended family.
b. Electrician on the way to my father-in-laws house, my wife puzzling over
best placement of the new outlets needed to accommodate the oxygen equipment,
hospital bed, etc.  So she sends me an iPhone snapshot of the current
configuration, I study that and call her with suggestions.

Yes, we both have real cameras (well, hers is a P&S digital, but it does say
Leica on it so it must be real), but the process of moving an image from camera
to computer to processing to export to email just doesn't fit the in-the-moment
uses like the above.

stan