Hi Jostein,

It's not a whine or a rant. It's something I've thought for years...
that Pentax should/would have a full frame DSLR.  Obviously Pentax
thought so also at one point with the MZ-D, or whatever is was called,
before cancellation due to sensor issues.

As far as I can tell the only reason the smaller sensor size entered
the picture (no pun intended but give me credit for noticing) is
because it:

1.  allowed mfrs. to produce more easily (sell) and cut costs (profit)
2.  market specialized lenses (smaller, less materials, lower cost)
for that format (sell and profit)

In the 8 or 9 years that DSLR's for the public at large have existed,
they (all mfrs.) have sold millions of cameras and lenses, from which
we have profited by having a product, and they have profited to the
the tune of 1000's of millions of dollars. In the meantime, sensor
technology and manufacturing processes have matured to the point that
FF 135mm bodies are now a reasonable proposition as evidenced by their
existence, including even interloper Sony having one.

The mfrs., at large have played the game pretty smartly, having
produced and profited in the interim with what could be considered a
compromise product (in the sense that they compromised and adjusted in
order to market an affordable product). They now are profiting again
(or stand to) by producing the level up FF 135mm body lines. They have
experienced a sales revolution and paradigm shift over the last 10
years that was beyond their wildest dreams. In the past the average
SLR purchaser bought a camera body and kept if for 5, 10, 20 years
with possibly no compelling need to upgrade and the continued sale of
additional lenses was extremely important. Fast-Forward... in the last
10 years many people have changed DSLR bodies 2, 3, 4, 5 times, plus
they've purchased many new lenses to match the format.

If sensor resolution is limited by density/pixel size/inherent noise,
then as I see it, manufacturers have little choice but to increase
sensor size as a means of generating continued interest in a new
product they can sell to their existing customer base. It's a logical
move.  In fact it may become easier to increase resolution or image
quality by moving to a larger sensor than by trying to eke out the
last bit of headroom from the APS-C format. If Pentax, Hoya, whoever
they are, does not make a 135mm format body they will simply be
relegated further back in the pack as they will likely hit the brick
wall of physics.

I agree that MP count is not everything and that some people will/do
not feel the need for more.  But we live in a world where mfrs. have
generated exactly the opposite perception and continue to do so.  And
at the base level, higher MP count = increased resolution = higher
image quality.

You're correct in that I haven't moved on from Pentax yet, largely
because 1) everytime I consider it I must also factor in new lenses,
and 2) everytime I consider it I must also factor in the cost for new
lenses.

My affinity for Pentax, despite my misgivings, is evidenced by the
fact that I've purchased 4 of their DSLR's, 2 APS-C lenses, an
expensive Sigma long zoom in K-mount, and that I continue to display
images made with that gear. I believe I've every right to voice a
negative opinion on some aspect of Pentax as I've paid for that right.

When I write my opinion (this is the only list I frequent) and it
includes what is, or is perceived as, negativity or criticism
regarding Pentax, that's allowed. :-)  If I chose only to say things
positive about Pentax, while ignoring the other side of the picture,
then I could be correctly referred to as a fanboy.

Tom C.