[...]
> >The policewoman was bang out of order, abusing her authority. The
> >photographer appears to know his rights rather more than
> most of us do,
> >so presumably was deliberately pushing for this to happen, just as
> >Willcock did in 1951, but somebody needs to put a stop to
> this type of abuse of authority.
>
> Hmm - there is nothing in the above para that I disagree with
> except the abuse of authority bit. If the police have the
> power to stop and search under a lawful act, how is that an
> abuse of authority?
[...]

The stop and search powers are essentially the same as the sus law which was
repealed back in the 80s because it was abused to such an extent that it was
a major factor in the race riots of that time. The police abuse their
authority whenever they stop someone without due cause for suspicion. Now,
that's wide open to interpretation of course, but hiding a Leica behind your
back or inside your jacket normal and legal for a certain type of
photography, which is itself legal. People going about their business should
not be subject to this sort of thing. The stop and search powers are
themselves an abuse of power by the government and by the police, and have
been ruled illegal by the European Court of Human Rights.
http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/police/powers/stop-and-search/
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8453878.stm