On 27/2/10, Bob W, discombobulated, unleashed:

>The stop and search powers are essentially the same as the sus law which was
>repealed back in the 80s because it was abused to such an extent that it was
>a major factor in the race riots of that time. The police abuse their
>authority whenever they stop someone without due cause for suspicion. Now,
>that's wide open to interpretation of course, but hiding a Leica behind your
>back or inside your jacket normal and legal for a certain type of
>photography, which is itself legal. People going about their business should
>not be subject to this sort of thing. The stop and search powers are
>themselves an abuse of power by the government and by the police, and have
>been ruled illegal by the European Court of Human Rights.

>http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/police/powers/stop-and-search/
>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8453878.stm

Interesting links, thanks.

I didn't know about the 'sus' law, or if I did, I'd forgotten about it.
Came back from the USA in 76 and spent 10 years inebriated so that may
have been why...

>The police abuse their
>authority whenever they stop someone without due cause for suspicion. Now,
>that's wide open to interpretation of course

I think this seems to be the crux of the matter.

I was thinking 'why doesn't it bother me??' The only thing I can think
of is that for the past 23 years I have been subjected to intense
'processing' because of my work. Everywhere I go, I have to sign in and
sign out, give details, fill in forms, give explanations sometimes ad-
hoc on the moment, sometimes in advance. I have been searched and
cleansed going in and out of prisons, police stations, military bases,
RAF bases, naval bases, research establishments, everything - from down
in a sewer to Buckingham palace and everywhere inbetween - you name it.
I have dozens of passport pics ready to go as they need sending to every
sort of establishment you can imagine for accreditation.

I can remember a time when I didn't like being a number and refused to
wear clip-on ID tags when filming on various premises - I used to clip
them to the front of the camera. Stick-on tags I stuck onto the wooly
mic cover. Now it doesn't bother me. In fact I found out that the more
you jump through the hoops they put in front of you, the more you get
what you want. Facing off against a jobsworth is so incredibly boring to
me that I avoid it like the plague. I do the opposite - I make a friend
with the jobsworth, and because of that I end up getting what I want or
need with minimal fuss and effort, and usually with a cup of tea thrown
in for good measure.

As a point of principle I suppose I agree that stop and search is open
to abuse and judging by the original youtube video, it is plain to see.
However, I still maintain the bloke in question was being adversarial
and that is only going to end up with one result.

I suppose if I didn't do the job I do, and was (say) an IT guru who
enjoyed photography in public places, and it happened to me, then there
is a chance that I would have an adverse reaction as well. The problem
is, I can't hypothesize about that because my view is toned by my
history. All I can see is a bloke being adversarial and getting what was
coming to him. A name and address and a friendly chat about camera clubs
and he could have been on his way photographing again in minutes. What
is so difficult about that?

--

Cheers,
  Cotty