Of course, hockey - I mean "ice hockey" - is huge here. When I was a kid it was
cold enough that we played organized hockey at outdoor rink with natural ice. I
don't think I played in an arena with artificial ice until my third season for
a playoff game.

When we weren't playing organized hockey we played "pickup" games or shinny (as
"scrub" is to baseball) on backyard rinks.

I didn't even know there was field hockey or grass hockey until I was about ten
years old. I seem to recall during an Olympic Games (likely Mexico in '68)
hearing them talk of "hockey", and my father explaining that in much of the
world "hockey" (no modifier) was on grass and "ice hockey" was what we played.

We feel that any game where a backhand shot is illegal, where there's no
bodychecking and where there are no fist fights couldn't possibly be hockey as
we know it. Besides, there were no guys named Jean-Guy, Jacques or Henri.
Whatever they were playing on that big green field wasn't anything we were
familiar with!

Mind you this was a time when there were exactly two American players in the
entire National Hockey League; all the rest were Canadian. It would be another
fifteen years before the first Europeans came here to play in the premier
professional league in the world. And when the first Russians came here they
had to defect, just like ballet dancers.

With ice hockey so popular outside our borders these days, it's easy to forget
that up to a couple of decades ago it really was a largely North American thing.

Cheers,
frank

"What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." --
Christopher Hitchens