Quoting Steven Desjardins <drd1...@gmail.com>:

That's what we call field hockey.  At least in North America, Hockey
means ice hockey and the modifier goes with the other one.  Ah, the
wonders of cultural diversity.

Yep.

Down here, the concept of playing hockey on ice would be a mystery to most people, so 'hockey' with no modifier, is what's played on grass....

Cheers

Brian

Brian Walters
Western Sydney Australia