On 27/11/14, J C OConnell, discombobulated, unleashed:

>If all  you want is a camera and kit lens, might as well buy a point and
>shoot
>if your buying with intent to buy multiple lenses, then the mount
>matters because its the
>lens system your stuck with.

I want to buy a good camera with a standard range zoom lens on. I have
had point and shoot cameras in the past, but now want a good quality
proper camera. I go to my camera shop to try some out and get advice. I
look at Canon and Nikon because that's what the salesman will show me.
He tries to sell me entry level but I explain that I am happy to pay
good money for the right camera. I am in a good job and have 2 or 3
thousand bucks to play with. He shows me a few other things. I take it
all in and go home to do some more research. I figure that there are
quite a few players out there in the price range I would like to be in.
Canon, Nikon, Panasonic, Pentax, Olympus, Fuji, Sony, and maybe even a
few more. Quite a choice. It wouldn't make a jot of difference to me
what 'full frame' meant - I don't have that level of knowledge. I like
the idea I can maybe buy a lens or two in the future and play about with
that. Later I may get to handle some the smaller ones - the Olympus and
Fuji - 'mirrorless' ?? Cool. And the Sony. Or do I go for the Nikon or
Canon... such a choice.

You cannot place your preferences and values on other people - they
don't think like you. Sure, to you (and even me) you will get locked
into a lens system, but a lot of people out there don't even consider
it. When I look at a camera system I look at the lenses first and then
the bodies. Not our well-to-do customer up there. He has X amount of
money to spend and he will spend it without considering what lens mount
he is 'stuck' with.

I put it to you that Pentax is in direct competition with Sony and all
of the above makes.

--

Cheers,
  Cotty