On 11/27/2014 12:15 AM, Darren Addy wrote:
By now you have probably seen the Sony announcement for the 24.3 MP
a7ii full frame with in-body 5-axis image stabilization. This camera
is has specs that are pretty close to what I expected from a first
Pentax FF camera, and I think the most surprising thing about it the
price of $1698 for the body only.

I think this pretty much forces Pentax to price their (allegedly
in-the-works) FF camera at close to the same price, if not less, and I
wonder if this is going to make the bean counters decide there is not
enough margin in a full frame product, after all.

Still, the one thing that the Sony a7 series does not provide to
Pentax owners is AF for their lenses. With the m42 and k-mount
adapters one must focus manually. Here is one Pentax aficianado's
impressions and images: http://photo.net/pentax-camera-forum/00cfJ5

Also, I wonder if Pentax will not skip the 24.3MP FF sensor and go for
a sensor that more closely bridges the gap between the APS-C flagship
K-3 and the 645z. It seems more reasonable to me that they would go
with the 36.3 IMX094AQP Sony sensor used in the Nikon D800 and Sony
A7r (reportedly). If they did, that would allow Pentax to position its
offering closer to the Nikon D810 (currently $3295). It is with that
pixel density that I think a Pentax FF could get away with the same
sort of Anti-Alias scheme as found in the K-3. I have to believe that
the a7ii with its lower pixel density will have to have an AA filter
to avoid moire.

Time will tell.

I pretty much expect that IF Ricoh does ever decide to produce a FF Pentax that they will use the same Sony sensor that Nikon's comparable body uses. I's also expect Ricoh to position the putative FF Pentax against the D600/D610 rather than the D800/D810.

It will provide 98% of what the comparable Nikon provides (slightly reduced frame rate, slightly smaller buffer, fewer auto-focus points & better auto-bracketing) at about 65% of the price for the Nikon model. It will also give the user a lot more control along with some "features" the Nikon just doesn't have.

That's based on what I paid for the *ist D, when Nikon's comparable body was the D100, and my subsequent experience with the K10D, K20D & K-3.

If it's positioned against the D800/D810, figure somewhere around $2150 for the body. If it's the D600/D610, figure around $1350.

If it never gets off the ground, that won't surprise me either.