Actually most lenses that aren't retrofocus put out a fairly flat
field. Longer lenses are telecentric by design. The curved sensor
approach doesn't work with telecentric lenses since the light rays are
all parallel. You need a matched lens to get real benefit from it and
the benefit comes in reducing the lens size and that's about it.